- March 28, 2018
- Posted by: Rob
- Category: 2019, Brexit
Brexit Case Study with GBCC
Read Helen’s recent article published by Greater Birmingham Chamber of Commerce on Brexit.
You can read this piece via the Chamber of Commerce website here
Chamber of Commerce Article
Brexit Case Study: Clearlight Customs
This case study is part of the Greater Birmingham Chambers of Commerce Brexit toolkit. Our Business Brexit Toolkit sets out suggestions for how businesses can get “Brexit ready”, facts and stats on Brexit and the region’s relationship with the EU and our asks for stakeholders on both Brexit negotiations and the domestic policy changes that businesses need to thrive. For more information click here.
Initial thoughts after the referendum of June 23rd, 2016 that the UK was leaving the European Union was naturally related to the EU import/export process and the requirements for customs declarations to be made for each transaction.
There were numerous risks and issues we identified for our clients including;
- Awareness/training of international processes
- Significant increase of customs declarations UK/EU e.g. current 55 million to around 300 million per year
- CDS – changes in system and process
- Supply Chain disruption
Equally we did identify service opportunities to help guide/assist business through these changing times some of which are listed below;
- Write and prepare training workshops
- Liaise/negotiate with software provider for their offerings in relation providing “bolt on” customs clearance software
- Authorised economic Operator (AEO) opens simplifications for customs activities and “trusted trader” status for security
- CDS – preparedness, awareness and training. Planned transition autumn 2018 into early 2019
All these opportunities take time to implement and put into place within a business as process changes may have to take place.
In order for our business to respond to the foreseeable changes we have actively changed our strategy in the following areas;
- Engaged with businesses
- Direct marketing
- Speaking at conferences
- Updating website
- Engaged with GBCC/EEN/BCC for invitations to attend AEO Round table forums
- Engaging with GBCC/EEN/BCC to gain invitations to attend Brexit forums
- Developing a strategy for Special Customs Procedures
It’s a difficult subject to inform anyone what the outlook will be like in 12 months’ time however, as the adage says, “Fail to prepare and we prepare to fail”. Let’s keep our UK business moving forward.
Clearlight are a customs consultancy with more than 50 years combined experience within the Logistics arena. We have been on the forefront of many complex customs legislation changes within International trade. Clearlight have in-depth experience of designing systems, processes and training solutions.
We offer professional, friendly and bespoke support services in the Import/Export and International trade procedures
Published via the Chamber March 2018 here: https://goo.gl/ZPuFeg